What to Consider When Choosing a Primary Care Physician Questions and Answers
If you are looking for a new Primary Care Physician, some helpful information to know beforehand is always welcome. We offer Primary Care to West Hempstead, NY and surrounding areas, offering services like Physical Exams, Lab Services, Vaccinations, Wound Care Treatment, X-ray Services, Urgent Care services, COVID-19 + Strep Throat Services. We are located at 225 Nassau Boulevard, West Hempstead, New York 11552. For more information, please call our office or schedule an appointment with us online. We serve patients from West Hempstead NY, Franklin Square NY, Garden City NY, New Hyde Park NY, Uniondale NY, Mineola NY and North Valley Stream NY.
Table of Contents:
Should I choose a male or female primary care doctor?
What specialties are considered primary care?
When should I change my primary care physician?
What is considered a primary care doctor?
Primary care physicians are an important part of the healthcare system. They act as our first point of contact for all medical concerns and can effectively diagnose, treat and prevent a multitude of different medical conditions. If your case requires further care, they can refer you to a trusted medical specialist.
The gender of your primary care doctor depends on your personal preference. For example, many women prefer a female doctor as they are usually more adept at female-related health issues. For a husband and wife with two daughters, choosing a female doctor might be the best decision. If you have male health concerns, seeing a male primary care physician would typically be more advantageous.
There are several specialties that are considered primary care, including, but not limited to:
• Family medicine — This specialty focuses on common injuries, illnesses and conditions that affect the entire family, from early life to advanced age.
• Internal medicine — Internists are medical professionals who can diagnose, treat and help prevent a number of illnesses and conditions. They are similar to family medicine doctors, except that they only treat adults.
• Pediatrics — These healthcare professionals specialize in treating children and adolescents. They are expertly trained to diagnose a concern based on limited communication, as children often have a hard time communicating their ailments.
• Geriatrics — On the other end of the spectrum, geriatricians specialize in treating the elderly and all of the conditions that affect someone with advanced age.
• OB/GYN — Known as obstetricians/gynecologists, these medical specialists treat women and are well-versed in all concerns affecting females and the female reproductive system.
While finding a doctor can be difficult, changing your doctor is sometimes necessary. If you require a different specialty for care, such as moving from a pediatrician to an OB/GYN, a change is often necessary. Additionally, if you feel your current primary care physician is not meeting your needs in any way possible, whether they do not listen to your concerns, do not coordinate with other doctors, do not stay up-to-date with medical advances, or if they are simply just not the expert you need, start looking for a new doctor. The physicians at Franklin Primary Care are here to help you, no matter the concern! Book an appointment to meet with us today!
A primary care doctor is any physician who acts as a first line of contact for all medical concerns. They provide diagnoses and treatments for previously unknown health concerns and also provide ongoing care for chronic conditions. Essentially, a primary care doctor can provide care for virtually any health concern and for those outside of their expertise, they can refer you to a trusted specialist.
If you or someone you know is looking for an experienced primary care doctor, come to Franklin Primary Care today! Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in primary care services and can help you with all of your medical concerns. For more information about our primary care physician, call our office and get in touch with a member of our specialist team. To book an appointment with our primary care physician, visit our website or speak with us over the phone today.